Wednesday, October 12, 2011

If you can't beat em', join em'

I started out my little EclipsePhase RPG tracking web app using a Flex UI on top of Gaelyk services.  However, this last weekend I gave up on that and rebuilt my starting point plus some more features with Grails and HTML.

Using Grails instead of Gaelyk was an easy choice for now since I can get a free cloud deployment via CloudFoundry.  Nevermind the fact that I use Grails at my day job, I think I might generally like it better than Gaelyk.

However, the Flex vs. HTML/JavaScript thing is a little less logical.  I spent 4 years getting decent with the Flex framework which I think is a great RIA platform.  However these days with all the Flash FUD going around and the hype around HTML5, it seems highly unlikely that I will build many more Flex UIs professionally.  That's a shame but I'm growing tired of fighting it for now.

My project is a "no Flash" zone as my company's head management is convinced Steve Jobs "Flash is dead"eventhough we have several RIA front-end projects that have been success and no JavaScript/HTML ones yet to do anything significant. 

We actually pay for a JavaScript framework (ExtJs) when Adobe Flex is open source now.  Our UI constantly has browser issues.  It does very little.  In Flex it would be the equivalent of a couple data grids, a couple forms and file uploader.

I'm not digging on our UI guys, but they have alot more work to do dealing with what one guy referred to as "GarbageScript". 

I'm also not digging on JavaScript but browsers suck.  JavaScript devs that spend their time hating on Flash suck.  And eventhough I love my Mac and don't want to be insensitive, but Steve Jobs hateraid for Adobe Flash sucked also.

I'm tired and beaten, so I'm just doing HTML and GarbageScript for now.  The good thing is I am back to basically writing my UI on the server with Groovy/Grails and only slightly with HTML and JavaScript.

No comments:

Post a Comment